Six Things You Should Not Say To Someone With Depression followed by good responses.
1. "Watch a funny movie. That always improves my mood."
Response: That may help you but it's unlikely a comedy will make me stop worrying about whatever problem, be it real, exaggerated or imaginary, is on my mind."
2. "Stay away from sad movies or books - they will make your depression worse.
Response: "Wow. So by that logic everyone who saw Sophie's Choice and 12 Years A Slave are now depressed?"
3. "You should not have to take medication to deal with your depression."
Response: "I'll stop taking medication for my depression when you stop taking medication for your asthma, allegies, heart problems and cholestorel."
4. "It takes more muscles to frown than to smile."
Response: "Well, then, my face muscles are really getting a good workout."
5. "You're still depressed? This is like the third day in a row !"
Response: "You still have a closed, ignorant mind after three days?" Or, more politely "You still have allergies after three days?"
6. "Why can't you just man up?"
Response:" Why can't you be considerate and helpful instead of insulting?"